[BITList] Hull

Ronald Thomas thomas.ronald at wanadoo.fr
Mon May 16 21:10:46 BST 2011

I am led to believe that Hull, ( proper name Kingston upon Hull) was blitzed some 89 times and allegedly was the first and last place to suffer this calamity. Talk about ground zero, the East Riding is as flat as a pancake (as are parts of Lincolnshire), so much so that when I took my driving test there in 1957, the only place in which we could do a hill start was on Park Street bridge, which in normal terms would only qualify as a humpback. To prove your ability to do this the examiner would place a box of matches behind the rear wheel! But I digress, Hull was a very important port, not only for the traffic most of us learned and practised our trade in the MN, but also as a major fishing port.Also shipbuilding (on the smaller scale) etc.etc. My wife comes from Hessle (outskirts of K on H) and was there and I believe every word that she says ! I lived and worked there  for some 14 years, got 1st Mates, Master and attempted Extra at Boulevard, then worked ashore there for many years post BI. It was flat then and so it is today,but being an end of the line community a great place in which to live,then cannot comment as to what it is like now.  Ron