[BITList] allowed?

COLIN TAYLOR x50type at cox.net
Mon May 16 01:36:28 BST 2011

hugh

what wasn't allowed in BI?
i hauled an audio system around with me that could play so loud it would cause your ears to bleed..............!
not that i played it loudly - which reminds me......i was apparently playing it too loud for ceo  'gentleman' george foster one evening on 'sirdhana'. he came storming over to my cabin and shouted, 'turn that bloody thing down!'................which i duly did. Funny thing was, i had been aboard some weeks - and that was the first time i had seen the snotty bastard. come to think of it, i don't think i saw him again while i was on the ship!.
however, i did see him again, this time in kobe. I think it was one of BI's N class ships - they had encountered some severe heavy weather and had damage which they were rightly claiming against underwriters. Acting in my capacity as Salvage Association surveyor I went aboard to see what it was all about and report accordingly. as was our custom i presented my credentials to the master - omg you would have thought i smelled [this was very unusual, most masters welcomed us with open arms, particularly the greeks and chinese] - he hustled me out and told me that the damage was the ceo's department. who was the ceo? none other than gentleman george. This time he was very affable and got on telling about his brilliant daughter who had a scholarship to oxford. it was obvious he didn't remember me and i didn't remind him.
talking of instruments - i went aboard an ocean going tug in morgan city, louisiana, the master was also the owner and apparently his wife, who normally sailed with him, was a good pianist and liked to play the piano regularly. Imagine my surprise when i espied a grand piano in the master;s dayroom. i was intrigued because the day room was rather small and the grand piano was rather large, the master explained that using a dock side crane he had the side of the accommodation cut open, the grand piano inserted and the whole sewn up again...........................
although i didn't see anyone in BI hauling their own piano about, one of the other jeo's when i joined dara was an excellent classical pianist. he had passed the Royal Academy of Music higher level exam and was great at explaining the various passages in piano music. i can't remember his name but he was from Glasgow and had been an apprentice at Singer.

colln

On May 15, 2011, at 3:08 AM, HUGH wrote:

> Colin,
>
> I can't relate to the top photo - too well dressed, and evidently sober - the bottom photo is a different matter, though the banjo gives me pause (were banjos allowed in BI?).
>
> Hugh.

COLIN TAYLOR
New Orleans
x50type at cox.net