[BITList] Fw: More people like this and we wouldn't have a deficit

John Davison davison.g at xtra.co.nz
Tue May 10 23:35:57 BST 2011

A real reply from the Inland Revenue .  The Guardian newspaper had to ask for
special permission to print it.  The funniest part of this is imagining the
content of the letter sent to the Tax Office which prompted this reply .

Dear Mr Addison,

I am writing to you to express our thanks for your more than prompt reply to our
latest communication, and also to answer some of the points you raise.. I will
address them, as ever, in order.

Firstly, I must take issue with your description of our last as a "begging
letter". It might perhaps more properly be referred to as a "tax demand". This
is how we at the Inland Revenue have always, for reasons of accuracy,
traditionally referred to such documents.

Secondly, your frustration at our adding to the "endless stream of crapulent
whining and panhandling vomited daily through the letterbox on to the doormat"
has been noted.   However, whilst I have naturally not seen the other letters to
which you refer I would cautiously suggest that their being from "pauper
councils,  Lombardy  pirate banking houses and pissant gas-mongerers" might
indicate that your decision to "file them next to the toilet in case of
emergencies"  is at best a little ill-advised.    In common with my own
organisation, it is unlikely that the senders of these letters do see you as a
"lackwit bumpkin" or, come to that, a "sodding charity". More likely they see
you as a citizen of  Great Britain , with a responsibility to contribute to the
upkeep of the nation as a whole.

Which brings me to my next point. Whilst there may be some spirit of truth in
your assertion that the taxes you pay  "go to shore up the canker-blighted,
toppling folly that is the Public Services", a moment's rudimentary calculation
ought to disabuse you of the notion that the government in any way expects you
to "stump up for the whole damned party" yourself.    The estimates you provide
for the Chancellor's disbursement of the funds levied by taxation, whilst
colourful, are, in fairness, a little off the mark.    Less than you seem to
imagine is spent on "junkets for Bunterish lickspittles" and "dancing
whores" whilst far more than you have accounted for is allocated to, for
example, "that box-ticking facade of a university system."

A couple of technical points arising from direct queries:

1. The reason we don't simply write "Muggins" on the envelope has to do with the
vagaries of the postal system;

2. You can rest assured that "sucking the very marrow of those with nothing else
to give" has never been considered as a practice because even if the Personal
Allowance didn't render it irrelevant, the sheer medical logistics involved
would make it financially unviable.

I trust this has helped. In the meantime,whilst I would not in any way wish to
influence your decision one way or the other, I ought to point out that even if
you did choose to "give the whole foul jamboree up and go and live in  India "
you would still owe us the money.

Please send it to us by Friday.

Yours sincerely,

H J Lee
Customer Relations
Inland Revenue

________________________________

This document is for information only and is for use of the recipient. It is not
to be reproduced, copied or made available to others. This document neither
constitutes, nor is to be construed as an offer to buy or sell investments. The
information and opinions expressed herein are based on sources we believe to be
reliable but we do not represent that they are accurate or complete. Any
information herein is given in good faith, but is subject to change without
notice. No liability is accepted whatsoever by Monument Securities Ltd,
employees and associated companies for any direct or consequential loss arising
from this document.

Monument Securities Limited - Incorporated and registered in England & Wales .
Registered Office: 1st Floor, The Economist Building , 25 St James's Street ,
London , SW1A 1HA . Registered Number 2583440

Monument Securities Ltd is authorised and regulated by the FSA and is a member
of the London Stock Exchange, LIFFE and ICMA. Under the Financial Services
Authority (FSA) New Conduct of Business Rules we are required to categorise
clients for whom we undertake any designated investment business. Accordingly we
have classified you as a Professional client. In particular any investments or
services mentioned herein are not available to Retail clients. As a Professional
client you are not afforded certain protections awarded exclusively to Retail
clients under the FSA New Conduct of Business Rules.

If you do not agree with this categorisation please contact us immediately.
Further if at any time you intend to conduct 'designated investment business'
with us please contact us in order that we send you the appropriate terms of
business in accordance with the FSA rules. The contents of this notice are in
addition to any written agreement that you may have in place with us and any
such agreement will take precedence over these terms.

database 6108 (20110509) __________

http://www.eset.com

database 6110 (20110510) __________

http://www.eset.com