[BITList] google -speech to text

x50type at cox.net x50type at cox.net
Sun May 8 15:11:27 BST 2011

Here are a few examples of Google's handiwork. See if you can guess what the caller is saying, and then click the audio stream below the transcript to hear the actual message.
will Apple do better with Nuance?
ct

This first message is a pretty typical mix of accurate transcription combined with utter nonsense. Sure, I understand that I'm being invited to a barbecue, but I have no idea what "God for something like that" is supposed to mean, much less "Lots of there and like a giant bolt lock only style." Without listening to the voice recording, I'd be hard-pressed to respond appropriately to this message.

Fortunately, Google uses different shades of gray to indicate its confidence in the transcription. As a general rule, the more gray you see, the less sure you should be of the content. Of course, when the text is basically gibberish, that's a pretty good indicator too.

When the caller mumbles at all, the challenge is even greater, as in the case below.

"Wholesale of the alright"? I have to admit that I'm not 100 percent certain what that message actually said, but I'm pretty sure Google's guess was way off the mark.