[BITList] AV referendum: Britain overwhelmingly votes No - Telegraph

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat May 7 16:17:47 BST 2011

John,

I voted for AV, it being a stepping stone to a better system of voting. I seem to recall much less than 50% cast any vote at all on the subject, so I can't see where all the hyperbole about the significance of the NO vote comes from.  I wonder how many understood what it was all about?

The comments make interesting reading, especially those on the Scottish results. One English chappie, I assume of nationalist tendencies, advocated (among other condign punishments) rebuilding Hadrian's Wall with guard posts as a retaliation for the SNP victory, in advance of any referendum about independence, let alone a positive result. Great said another, so what about the bits of Northumbria that lie north of it? 'Twas ever thus, fools and commonsense are soon parted.

I can't see a majority voting for independence, but at least a referendum would put an end to speculation about it.