[BITList] who are the rebels?

COLIN TAYLOR x50type at cox.net
Thu Mar 31 17:57:26 BST 2011

questioned this morning on capitol hill about libya........

sure it's "unlikely" that groups such as al Qaeda and Hezbollah would be able to capitalize on the turmoil - the CIA said so..................!

Both Democrats and Republicans questioned the identity of the rebel leaders, reflecting a concern about a possible al Qaeda presence within the opposition movement.

"I have a lot of concern about who the rebels are," said Rep. David Loebsack, D-Iowa. "Who are these folks?"

Gates indicated that there are still significant questions regarding the composition and ideological leanings of the opposition.

The U.S. government does not "have much visibility into those who have risen against Gadhafi," he said, noting that there are "multiple agendas" at stake.

But he argued it was unlikely that groups such as al Qaeda or Hezbollah would be able to capitalize on the turmoil. Libyan tribes hostile to the presence of such organizations would play a key role in forming the next government, Gates said.

Committee members also complained about the cost of the military mission, which has been estimated by the administration at $550 million over the past month and $40 million for each month moving ahead.

"We can't pay our bills right now," Jones said. Gadhafi is "absolutely evil," but other countries need to play a larger role, he insisted.

COLIN TAYLOR
x50type at cox.net