[BITList] Interesting

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Mar 28 08:42:26 BST 2011

Up earlier this morning to phone our daughter to remind her to waken our grandson for a doctor's appointment, I found the following on Yahoo - my highlighting.

Commander Bob Broadhurst, head of public order for London's Metropolitan Police force, said groups who vandalised shops and landmarks during Saturday's protest would aim to disrupt the April 29 wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton.

"Yesterday reinforced the fact that there does appear to be an appetite out there to endorse violence," the policeman told the broadsheet newspaper.

"The concern for me is that they do what they did ... in central London and divert resources away from my security plan and take our eye off the ball security wise," he added.

The senior officer warned those "deliberately targeting" the royal event that the force would have "different powers" on the day of the wedding, including the ability to close roads and stop-and-search powers.

So, "different powers"? We'll keep well clear of London, then, lest a different power causes us to die of undiagnosed abdominal injuries. When the rugby player and Ms Phillips wed in Edinburgh, will there also be "different powers"?  I reckon not.