[BITList] Something to chew over

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri Mar 25 09:30:45 GMT 2011

In Thursday's Independent I found an advert placed by some place identifiable only by two phone numbers, Manchester and London. I'll give you a summary of it - like me, some of you will wonder why we wasted all those years in training.

It says (highlighting as in the original):

WANTED, TRAINEE PLUMBERS AND ELECTRICIANS

We need practical, keen applicants to take around 70 days of intensive City & Guilds training around your current commitments. We will give you the opportunity to join one of our affiliated building, plumbing and electrical companies.  On completing workplace assessments you could become a City & Guild qualified plumber and then train for ACS in gas for your Gas Safe registration or alternatively you could become a fully qualified electrician.

No previous plumbing or electrical experience necessary.

And so on.