[BITList] No batteries needed

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Wed Mar 23 17:50:27 GMT 2011

Colin,

Just this afternoon I was reading a supplement in The Independent called Engineering Britain.  Various adverts for such as the under representation of women in university physics ; working with patents, etc ; etc.  And an article on Sir James Dyson. Another article is headed - Engineering battles widespread ignorance. I quote - "When we asked 3,000 people to name an engineering innovation from the last 50 years that's impacted their lives, over 60% couldn't name one.  Yet a lot of them will use Ipads, which need engineers to design software, hardware, battrery and display technology. .... Engineering UK's annual three-day Big Bang Fair ..... aims to present the breadth of engineering to thousands of school children."  Somewhere along the line the definition of  "engineer" has changed.

What is the difference between an engineer and a technician?  Back in the 80s it was my turn to be union rep for Kincaid's staff.  I was called in by the Personnel Manager to hear that, henceforth, draughtsmen would be reclassified as technicians. "Interesting," I said, "Let us know when you plan to start this interesting scheme." I lie - that wasn't what I said to him. Anyway, the matter was never referred to again.