[BITList] This is just tooo kewl not to spread around

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Fri Mar 18 00:52:14 GMT 2011

G'day folks,

A fine response from one of my correspondents.

:-)

On 18/03/2011, at 1:54 AM, Ian xxx wrote:

> John, wasn't that Grandorini the air rifle used by the dastardly Moriarty to try and shoot Sherlock?

Nice one Ian, but unfortunately it is not correct - read on.

>From Wikipedia.

"Moriarty's weapon of choice is the "air-rifle": a unique weapon constructed for the Professor by a blind German mechanic (one Mr. von Herder), and used by his employee Colonel Sebastian Moran. It closely resembled a cane, allowing for easy concealment, was capable of firing revolver bullets and made very little noise when fired, making it ideal for sniping. The weapon became infamous for being Moriarty's favorite tool. Moriarty also has a marked preference for organising "accidents". His attempts to kill Holmes include falling masonry and a speeding horse-drawn van. He is also responsible for stage-managing the death of Birdy Edwards."