[BITList] WHY OUR GREAT GRANDPARENTS WERE HAPPIER THAN WE ARE...

franka franka at iinet.net.au
Thu Mar 17 14:24:57 GMT 2011

    *Why Our Great-Grandparents Had Fond Memories Of Their Youth...'**
    (I'm surprised they remember anything!!)***

    A bottle of Bayer's 'Heroin'.
    Between 1890 & 1910 heroin was sold as*a non-addictive substitute*
    for morphine.
    It was also used to treat children suffering with a strong cough.

    *
    Coca Wine, anyone?*

    Metcalf's Coca Wine was one of a huge variety of wines with cocaine
    on the market. Everybody used to say that it would make you happy
    and it would also work as a medicinal treatment.
    *
    Mariani Wine.*

    Mariani wine (1875) was the most famous Coca wine of its time. *
    Pope Leo XIII* used to carry one bottle with him all the time.
    He awarded Angelo Mariani (the producer) with a Vatican gold medal..
    *
    Maltine.*
    Maltine Coca Wine was produced by the Maltine Manufacturing Company
    of New York .....
    It was suggested that you should take a full glass with or after
    every meal. Children should only take half a glass.
    *
    Opium for Asthma:*

    At 40% alcohol plus 3 grams of opium per tablet,
    It didn't cure you, but you didn't care...
    *
    Cocaine Tablets (1900)*

    All stage actors, singers, teachers and preachers had to have them
    for a maximum performance. Great to 'smooth' the voice.
    *
    Cocaine drops for toothache*

    Very popular for children in 1885.
    Not only did they relieve the pain, they made the children very happy!

    *
    Opium for newborns*

    I'm sure this would make them sleep well
    (not only the Opium, but also 46% alcohol)!
    */
    /**/
    It's no wonder they were called, 'The Good Old Days'!!
     From cradle to grave...
    Everyone Was Stoned!!!/*