[BITList] libya - going beyond

x50type at cox.net x50type at cox.net
Thu Mar 17 13:38:00 GMT 2011

eh?
so, apparently few lessons were learned from vietnam, iraq and afghanistan!
I didn’t realise how close the libyan people are to us, nor how important libya has become [this week] to the USA
not dejavu again?
ct

Obama Makes Quick Turn on Libya
By Chris Stirewalt

Published Obama Suddenly Staunch on Libya

“The U.S. view is that we need to be prepared to contemplate steps that include, but perhaps go beyond, a no-fly zone at this point.”

-- Susan Rice, U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, discussing with reporters a pending resolution to intervene in Libya

Perhaps sensing that the impending slaughter of the remaining rebels in Libya’s month-old civil war will be a moment of ignominy for Western powers, the Obama administration made a sudden shift Wednesday from ambivalence about imposing a no-fly zone on dictator Muammar al-Qaddafi to a broad call of military intervention.

Any action will likely come too late for the rebel forces, as Qaddafi’s army augmented by a coalition of pan-African forces and mercenaries encircled the remaining forces of the uprising in the port city of Benghazi. Vastly outnumbered and outgunned, the rebel forces prepared to make a final, bloody stand against Qaddafi.

Read more: http://foxnews.com/politics/2011/03/17/obama-makes-quick-turn-libya/#ixzz1Grb7FoUR