[BITList] 338 Wheels

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 15 07:32:05 GMT 2011

John,

That's a big load. In latter days, a complete B&W diesel was routinely transported from Kincaid's I-shop, to the fitting out basin in the James Watt Dock and further, on a specially made low loader pulled by one tractor (all there was room for).  The main gate, already very high, was opened out even further.  The older, opposed piston engines, being much higher and very much bulkier, were always partly dismantled before being transported - this I recall, because I fell off one while dismantling it.  I also recall in my pre-MN days participating in the planning processes for transporting bedplates with crankshafts to remote places, eg, the NE coast - Middlesbrough, etc. One that stuck in my mind was for Blue Flue - it came off the low loader on a country road and ended up in a field, deeply embedded in mud. Mr Arnold, the Blue Flue resident super, wrote a paper on the event and how the matter was rectified, and I was elected to make a drawing of it for him.  I've a dim memory of a lot of wire ropes and winches. I used a lot of ink.