[BITList] BBC News - ZX81: Small black box of computing desire

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat Mar 12 14:23:10 GMT 2011

Mike,

That takes me back.  I dithered about buying one, then got seduced by the two shiny new IBM machines that appeared in Kincaid's Drawing Office and saved my money. These IBMs were only marginally more intelligent than  the ZX81 - they knew they had something to do with computing, but had to be brought up to speed every morning with time and date.  All else was input from 5.25" floppies via programs we wrote ourselves. My son got the Sinclair Spectrum (it's on a shelf behind me) and a cassette player (in the loft). My Dad's old black and white TV, to which I attached various sockets for computers, is also in the loft.  I bought an Acorn Atom with an income taxe rebate, 8k bumped up to 16k!!!  What power!!!  Along with an original hand held Space Invaders, the Atom is somewhere in the loft.  My present machine, a DELL Optiplex GX520, isn't as much fun.