[BITList] Iain Duncan Smith reveals plan for flat-rate £140 state pension | Politics | The Guardian

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 8 10:16:34 GMT 2011

Mike,

The so-called "basic state pension" only has a maximum -  what one actually
gets depends on how many insurance stamps one has bought before achieving
pensionable age.
But all sorts of  additional bits and pieces complicate the issue.  My
statement, received the other day in advance of the start of the new
financial year in April, lists (1) basic State Pension, (2) Pre 97
additional State Pension, (3) Contracted-out Deduction (COD) from (2), (4)
Post 97 additional State Pension, and (5) Graduated Retirement Benefit.  God
knows how a "£140 flat rate" sits with all that.

My wife's lists only "basic State Pension".