[BITList] MPs' expenses: disgraced politicians received thousands to shut up their offices - Telegraph

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 3 08:32:14 GMT 2011

John,

I see from the photo that the place is falling down, and not before time.  I am convinced that, when many MPs enter that place (and "the other place"), their brains are immediately frazzled by the aura of superiority conveyed by the palatial surroundings.  From then on they feel disconnected from their previous lives.  I except only those whose previous lives consisted of Eton followed by Oxbridge followed by a 6 months stint as a PR chap for Daddy's bank - they immediately feel at home.  Build a flat roofed complex with a potentially leaky roof somewhere around Birmingham, paying adequate compensation to the citizens of Birmingham for the inconvenience of having it, and ship the lot to that location. Board up the present Parliament buildings, admitting only a man every so often to wind up Big Ben.