[BITList] Elfin safety

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Wed Jun 15 21:20:52 BST 2011

In a break from cutting back a hedge this evening I chatted to Arthur, the next door neighbour.  Arthur served his time in Kincaids a few years after me, but he didn't go to sea. Before he retired earlier this year, year he worked with BAE Systems (ex Yarrows) on maintenance. He related a story about elfin safety there and vouched for the truth of it.

A maintenance engineer was hammering something and missed, raising a welt on his hand, so he went to the Ambulance Room, seeking relief, but that isn't what he got.
He answered questions about how he sustained the welt, and the matter was immediately passed on the elfin safety who taped off the scene of the crime with red tape, isolating the bench and tools. The chap was sent for and asked more questions at the scene. Finally, next day, he was interviewed by his foreman about what he had been doing, in detail.  Was there any way he could have avoided the "accident", etc.  The hammer was examined and found wanting, inasmuch as a bit had been sawn off the shaft (the better to use it in confined spaces).  The hammer was confiscated, as were all other similarly modified hammers, and a full set of kosher hammers was issued.

No wonder British industry has gone down the tubes.