[BITList] Comparison between managers and engineer

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Jun 5 16:50:42 BST 2011

Frank,

I believe it, every word, but (ashore) all of my managers have been engineers, all, that is, bar the trickle of numpties in the 90s.  When I went back to Kincaids in 1980, the MD and the Engineering Director had been in the DO when I left in 1956 for the MN - both were time-served Kincaid fitters and had been in the MN. Every senior post below Director level was held by similar, though not all had been in the MN. Contrast that with the situation in Kvaerner Govan in the 1990s.  In the entire  place there were two tickets - my 2nd's and another chap's Chief's.  I was the only person in the DO with MN experience.

Hugh