[BITList] Hay Festival 2011: Germaine Greer says protectbluebells by banning dogs from woods - Telegraph

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri Jun 3 20:40:23 BST 2011

Mike,

Rather than a picture of Germaine Greer (I've seen too many of her), I'd hoped to see one of an English bluebell, that flower being the theme of the story.  I am unmable to visualise the flower referred to, and I ask myself, what is an English bluebell?  I am unable to answer, so I have a look online.  Amazingly, it is the exact same flower as the Scottish bluebell and, for all I know, the Welsh and Irish bluebells. Why not rename it the bluebell and bring it into line with other flowers? We have 3 large clumps of them in our garden, no doubt illegally obtained, and there is at least one Bluebell Wood not far away.  I have no idea if dogs frequent this wood - one or two visit our garden, and the bluebells are flourishing.

Hugh