[BITList] ENGLISH AS SHE IS NOT BEING SPOKE

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 28 14:11:56 BST 2011

A debate in the Telegraph about a certain command of English being made a requirement for immigrants contains the following remark re a school - "The majority of the children are from ethnic minorities and some parents have only a little English, which means that our teachers cannot have even the most mundane of conversations."

Once in Kincaids I complained to the Chief that they were at a disadvantage when dealing with Burmeister & Wain, given the Danes spoke flawless English, and the only Kincaid employee with any command of Danish was me - and I didn't deal with B & W.  The response was along the lines that Kincaids didn't need to speak Danish as long as the Danes spoke English.

Is it the case that, in the UK, everybody must speak English - we don't need to speak anything else?