[BITList] Well, well

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 27 11:51:28 BST 2011

The engineers among us might find this interesting (if that's the word). Tuesday's Independent has an article on the Fukushima nuclear reactor, and current moves to counter the radiation.  One young man, descibed as a manintenance worker, is willingly risking the certainty of a short life and impotence to assist in the process.  What he is doing is not described in the article, but details are there about what he did before the disaster.  At least, that is what the writer claims. I quote, "His job was to check the pressure inside pipes, opening and closing the valves."  It goes on to say, " .... he and his colleagues are well down the plant's employment food chain (sic).  Full-time employees are at the top, mostly white collar university graduates."  He's been there 10 years. So what was he?  I suspect he's an actual engineer who kept the bloody thing going, for, when the earthquake struck, " .... he watched in terror as pipes hissed and buckled around him".