[BITList] Extreme Mountain Climbing..

franka franka at iinet.net.au
Sat Jul 23 10:29:29 BST 2011

Not my idea of fun
frank

      Pictures from the peak of perfection: The man who climbs mountains
      in search of the ultimate photo

    *By Daily Mail Reporter***

    *Last updated at 6:24 PM on 6th May 2011***

    *For most of us, hauling yourself up some of the Earth's highest
    peaks would be enough to keep us occupied.***

    *But for one mountaineer, the exertion he goes through to scale the
    heights is just a means to capturing some of the most stunning
    images of nature's peaks.***

    *Robert Bosch, 57, has climbed to the summit of Everest, the icy
    Alps of Europe and even to the frozen desert wastes of Antarctica in
    pursuit of adventure and the perfect snap.***

    *Clinging on: Climber Pesche Wuthrich swings for another handhold in
    the Alps on the border between Italy and Switzerland***

    *Clinging on: Climber Pesche Wuthrich swings for another handhold in
    the Alps on the border between Italy and Switzerland***

    *Perilous: This image shows Swiss mountaineer Ueli Steck
    ice-climbing near Pontresina, Switzerland***

    *Perilous: This image shows Swiss mountaineer Ueli Steck
    ice-climbing near Pontresina, Switzerland***

    *Balancing act: Two climbers perch on top of Salbitnadel in Uri,
    Switzerland, in another of Mr Bosch's stunning images***

    *Balancing act: Two climbers perch on top of Salbitnadel in Uri,
    Switzerland, in another of Mr Bosch's stunning images***

    *Perspective: Mr Bosch has spent nearly 40 years climbing the
    Earth's highest peaks to get his images***

    *Perspective: Mr Bosch has spent nearly 40 years climbing the
    Earth's highest peaks to get his images***

    *Working with some of the greats of European mountaineering, Mr
    Bosch's vertigo-inducing photography portrays the loneliness and
    grit that all climbers need to conquer the world's highest peaks.***

    *He said: 'Climbing Mount Everest is relatively straightforward for
    an experienced climber.***

    *'I had previously attempted to ascend the notoriously difficult
    west ridge route but that had defeated me.***

    *'So in 2001 I succeeded climbing the north face, but I must tell
    you that to climb Everest up the commercially popular route is easy.***

    *'Everyone travels to the top and thinks they can write a book about
    it, but the majority of these people are not mountaineers, they are
    relying ont he incredible work of the Sherpas of Nepal.'***

    *Give me a leg up: Climbers half way up the artificial wall on the
    Diga di Luzzone in Tessin***

    *Give me a leg up: Climbers half way up the artificial wall on the
    Diga di Luzzone in Tessin***

    *Staying cool: Ueli Steck ice axes in hand as he climbs near
    Oeschinen in Bern, Switzerland***

    *Staying cool: Ueli Steck ice axes in hand as he climbs near
    Oeschinen in Bern, Switzerland***

    *Don't look down: Annatina Schultz makes her way up The Fall on
    Klettern in Meringen, Switzerland***

    *Don't look down: Annatina Schultz makes her way up The Fall on
    Klettern in Meringen, Switzerland***

    *Eyes on the prize: Mr Bosch stands suspended at a 90 degree angle
    on the artificial wall in Tessin, Switzerland***

    *Eyes on the prize: Mr Bosch stands suspended at a 90 degree angle
    on the artificial wall in Tessin, Switzerland***

    *Photographing the greats of the climbing world, including
    34-year-old Ueli Steck, Mr Bosch has witnessed the skill needed in
    perilous climbs.***

    *He said: 'Ueli is a wonderful climber, an exceptional mountaineer,
    we climb a lot together looking for that perfect shot that sums up
    the strength and balance and fitness that climbers need.***

    *'His free climbing abilities are what most impresses me, he is a
    good friend and it is a pleasure to work with him.'***

    *As an experienced climber, Mr Bosch - who lives near Zurich in
    Switzerland - has scaled more than 100 different peaks across the
    world.***

    *He considered Cerro Torre in Argentina one of the hardest ascents,
    despite its relative unknown status.***

    *Nearly there: This close up was taken near the summit of the wall
    as Mr Bosch was suspended over the drop***

    *Nearly there: This close up was taken near the summit of the wall
    as Mr Bosch was suspended over the drop***

    *Bleak: The photographer counts Cerro Torre, in Patagonia,
    Argentina, as one of the toughest to climb***

    *Bleak: The photographer counts Cerro Torre, in Patagonia,
    Argentina, as one of the toughest to climb***

    *Scaling new heights: This image shows ice-climbing on the Godwin
    Austen Glacier in Pakistan with K2 in the background***

    *Scaling new heights: This image shows ice-climbing on the Godwin
    Austen Glacier in Pakistan with K2 in the background***

    *Mr Bosch said: 'My passion was born when my parents would take me
    to visit the Alps when I was a boy.***

    *'My main concern was climbing, but another interest of mine had
    always been photography and in my mid twenties I began to take
    pictures during my ascents and by the time I was 30 I had launched
    my own business concentrating on my climbing.***

    *'I was working in the Swiss Alps on my photography, hanging from a
    rope and using my crampons digging into the rock face to balance
    myself.***

    *'Unfortunately I had a momentary lapse of balance and I turned 180
    degress upside down to face a sheer 3,000ft drop.***

    *'My heart skipped and luckily for me my rope held and I managed to
    right myself, but that incident haunts me every day because I came
    so close to falling down head first.' ***