[BITList] "Americanisms" and "proper" language - BBC article

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 21 17:57:24 BST 2011

I take issue with the comments on "a half hour", "Scotch Irish" and "period".

"A half hour" is normal speech around here (Lower Clyde), used interchangeably with "half an hour", and it has nothing to do with the USA - it's always been that way.

"Scotch" is a bit 19th Century when applied to nationality, but it's not incorrect. "Scotch Irish" is perfectly correct if it refers to people who settled in Northern Ireland from Scotland then emigrated to Canada or the USA.

When I was in primary school, a full stop was a period.

I totally agree with the other comments.