[BITList] Welsh speaking coastguard station saved - Telegraph

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 15 09:03:31 BST 2011

Mike,

None of these closures make any sense at all, and the closure of the Clyde station will turn out to be a tragic mistake.  We have had at least one 999 call handily routed to Japan.  I phoned the Scottish/British Gas emergency gas leak number one day to report a strong smell of gas near our street.  I was asked to give details of where the smell was, so I said it was near St Francis Church.  He asked me where that was.  Just across from the junction of Marloch Avenue and Auchenbothie Road, said I.  Puzzled noises from the phone. Eventually we realised we were a few hundred miles apart - he was somewhere in England.  A man's car broke down in Perthshire - he phoned the RAC and was promised speedy help.  No help having arrived, he phoned again.  A poor RAC man was driving around Cheshire looking for him.  I could go on.  Someone will drown in the (very big, busy and complex) area presently served by the Clyde station.