[BITList] BP bought Kevin Costner's oil spill clean-up machines – despite field test failure | Environment | guardian.co.uk

COLIN TAYLOR s14engine at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 12 16:35:51 BST 2011

sure do – me and Hugh were all over this bloody nonsensical idea.

one comment was ..
Costner is a famous face who can attract media attention. If he stands up shouting "I've got the solution, but BP won't use it", you can bet the media, and large portions of the population will leap on his words. Then, on top of the shit-storm that was already swirling, BP would be fending off pointless questions about why they weren't using Costner's brilliant invention, when it would solve everything.

$16 million is, (if you'll excuse the pun) a drop in the ocean to BP, and more than worth their while to shut Costner up. He leaps up and down saying "I can save the world" and they ignore him, then they look like they don't want to save the world. They spend the money and prove his idea doesn't work, they've got a defense. He can't now shake his head sorrowfully and tell us all "if only they'd listened to me, I could have saved us all..." and expect to be believed.

If BP had ignored Costner I'd put money on the scientifically-illiterate media (i.e. most of it) bleating on about BP not following up a simple idea they were being offered, while simultaneously doing no research themselves into whether the idea had any merit. We wouldn't be reading about oil-water emulsions with the consistency of peanut butter that can't be pumped if Costner had been ignored.

he was wanting $48 million the last thing I heard. Seems all that was spent was $16 million testing by BP – so I don’t think kev and his sleazy new orleans lawyer made a fortune, but probably didn’t do too badly.

I believe a couple of his clean-up barges are rusting away up a creek near morgan city, louisiana.

ct