[BITList] good news

x50type at cox.net x50type at cox.net
Sun Jul 10 21:19:01 BST 2011

the pakis don’t want our money – great news
ct

    As U.S. cuts $800 million in military aid, Pakistan says it doesn't need it

    By SAEED SHAH
    McClatchy Newspapers
    ISLAMABAD -- ISLAMABAD-The Pakistan military declared Sunday that it doesn't need U.S. aid, as the White House confirmed that United States is withholding about $800 million in aid to Pakistan's armed forces.

    Tense relations between Islamabad and Washington worsened in May after the unilateral U.S. raid in northern Pakistan, during which Osama bin Laden was killed. Nuclear-armed Pakistan is struggling to combat Islamic extremists, while its economy is lurching towards disaster.

    At stake is Pakistan's cooperation against al-Qaida, the Taliban and other extremist groups. Much of al-Qaida's remaining leadership is believed to be hiding in Pakistan, while Pakistani territory is used as a safe haven by the Afghan Taliban and the allied Haqqani network, fighting across the border in Afghanistan.

    "The Pakistani relationship is difficult but it must be made to work over time," William Daley, the White House chief of staff, said on ABC television on Sunday. "But until we get through these difficulties we will hold back some of the money that the American taxpayers have committed to give them." Daley said the figure amounted to about $800 million.

    The cutback seemed to be a direct response to recent moves by Pakistan, which expelled U.S. military trainers from the country, limited the ability of U.S. diplomats and other officials to get visas and restricted CIA operations allowed on its territory.

    There are also questions about U.S. civilian aid to Pakistan, about $1.5 billion a year.

    Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/07/10/2308071/as-us-cuts-800-million-in-military.html#ixzz1RjfIJSPI