[BITList] BITList Meeting in Perth

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Tue Jul 5 17:01:43 BST 2011

G'day folks,

A nice lunch was held in Perth on Tuesday.

Attending was David Harvey, Frank A, and myself. [Tale note of the Oxford comma - my English Language teacher would be turning in his grave].

I just came across one mention of my RAF service on the RAF Forum about the price of spirits at RAF Sharjah when I were on detachment there.

RAF WYTON - Huntingdon.

Was posted in to the 'Crystal Palace' instrument shop.

Every Monday morning I paraded in front of the E&I Officer and said - "I request a posting to a line squadron, Sir."

Request refused was the normal reply.

One day I was told that there was a temporary position on 51 Sqdn for an Instrument bod. I was off like a shot.

Shortly afterwards I asked the 51 Tech Officer to request my temp position to be made permanent. That was granted, so I finished my time in the RAF with 51.

I did many detachments with 51.

Cyprus, Bodo in Norway, Sharjah, Changi and St. Mawgan.

The trips out to Cyprus (Akrotiri) and Shajah were undertaken in 51's Hastings. TG 530 (Iceni).

Sharjah was a three day flight on the Hastings. 1st day to Malta, 2nd day to Cyprus, third day to Sharjah flying over Beirut, Baghdag, down the Euphrates and over the Gulf to Sharjah.

>From memory the NAAFI there served Bacardi and coke. A double shot of the Bacardi was sixpence and the coke was a shilling.

I could just about be sure to be on an detachment every 6 weeks or so.