[BITList] Exclamation Points and E-Mails - Cultural Studies -NYTimes.com

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 4 20:44:41 BST 2011

Mike,

I don't use the Oxford comma, though I sometimes feel I should. Unless I'm feeling literary, I use the dash where I might otherwise use the semi-colon or the colon.  Now and then I go back and change a dash to a full stop, and start a new sentence.  And, over the past couple of years, I've come to dislike the ";" and the ":" sitting hard after the word.  I like to see then out in the open where I can see the bloody things.