[BITList] not easy

franka franka at iinet.net.au
Mon Jan 24 23:43:00 GMT 2011

Colin,
stuxnet is only a speed control  program (PLC or programmable logic
control) designed to run an electric motor the damage it causes is by
changing the speed to the extent that mechanical damage takes place at
the same time suppressing any alarm outputs, once this has happened one
is left with a machine that in this case because it is a high speed
device is U/S and the damage is done, however like any other loadable
program it can be removed, the hard part is finding a replacement
program that hasn't also been corrupted or writing a new one to install
on the units that haven't shown disruptive symptoms yet, all of which
serves the purpose of shutting the units down and causing doubt and
uncertainty in the security of the control systems. Under normal
circumstances one would have support from the original manufacturer but
in this case I cant see the Germans wanting to be seen to break the UN
embargo
frank