[BITList] Haggis at Sainsburys

CT's x50type at cox.net
Wed Jan 19 22:25:53 GMT 2011

hugh

mashed potatoes I know. neeps I didn’t  - but I do now [is it really called a tumshie?]......................................
nor did I know what a rutabaga is – I do now...................
I have never heard them called snaggers!
come to think of it, I didn’t know haggis is spicy!
total ignorance
ct

"Rutabaga" is the common American and Canadian term for the plant. It comes from the Swedish word Rotabagge, meaning simply "root bag". "Swede" is the preferred term used in much of England, Wales, Australia and New Zealand. In the U.S., the plant is also known as "Swedish turnip" or "yellow turnip", while in Ireland, it is referred to as "turnip". The name turnip is also used in parts of Northern and Midland England, Cornwall and Atlantic Canada. In Scots, it is either "tumshie" or "neep",[1] and Brassica rapa var. rapa, termed a "turnip" in southern English usage, instead is called a "white turnip" as in Ireland. Scots will refer to both types by the generic term "neep" (from Old English næp, Latin napus).[1][2] Some will also refer to both types as just "turnip" (the word is also derived from næp).[2] In North-East England, turnips and swedes are colloquially called "snaggers" (archaic). They should not be confused with the large beet known as a mangelwurzel. Its common name in Sweden is kålrot (literally "cabbage root"), similarly in Denmark it is known as kålroe, while in Norway it has usurped the name of kålrabi in addition to being known as kålrot.