[BITList] Our pyramid is collapsing - send for the Welsh! - Africa, World - The Independent

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Jan 6 21:44:20 GMT 2011

Mike,

Our church has a hyperbolic paraboloid roof, self supporting and covers a
big area.  For reasons of neglect I won't go into here, the thrust corners
at the buttresses failed, letting one of the corners move out by about two
inches, allowing the parabolic arch area to sag - I estimated by no more
than half an inch.  I was on the group that investigated the problem. The
roof movement, small as it was, caused damage to the top of the walls here
and there, indeed it was that very damage Janet and a friend noticed that
drew attention to the problem.  So the consulting engineers were brought in
at great expense and I coordinated with them.  Reports were produced and
studied, and many were the meetings, but not a sausage was produced in the
way of, er, fixing it.  Edinburgh sent across an emissary to gaze around at
it and tell me it was the walls to blame (actually, it was poor drainage
from the roof).  At a late stage I proposed getting hold of a lot of keel
blocks and some air bags, jack the roof middle up half an inch, repair the
walls and the faulty corners, remove the air bags. Little did I know that
was how they repair step pyramids in Egypt.  Unlike the Welsh proposal for
the step pyramid, mine was dismissed without consideration, in favour of
demolishing the church.  It's nine months since I was last at church.