[BITList] The World's Biggest Engine. etc

CT's x50type at cox.net
Thu Feb 24 00:20:38 GMT 2011

heavy engineering,indeed – hugh.

The place where this particular engine was reportedly built – Ishikawajima Heavy Industries, Aioi was a place I frequently visited.
This was the first place I ever saw a laser beam being used [early 1970’s] to line-up, etc. these big IHI-Sulzer engines.

IHI were very nice people to work with and their Kobe Office business manager was retired commander, imperial Japanese navy [roots in the royal navy] and a party animal. seems promotion was based partly on an officers level of virtuosity in performing and amusing fellow officers at geisha parties and capacity for sake!
He loved geisha parties. here I am and my Geordie colleague [bald head] at one of the parties. I am competing with one of the geishas to pick up go stones [like m & m’s (smarties)] with ohashi [chopsticks] and put them in a bowl.
first to pick up 12 wins....................... The more sake I had the faster I became!  幸せな日々

colin t