[BITList] Libya crackdown

s14engine s14engine at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 21 12:10:05 GMT 2011

hugh
any sensible person would expect the us state department to learn from past mistakes, particularly vietnam, lebanon, iraq and afghanistan – and mind their own business.
but apparently they can’t do that.....................they have to go round moralising, etc. but ignore blatant racism, greed and hypocrisy at home..............................!!
coincidentally I was watching a very interesting program on telly yesterday about afghanistan.
a panel of 5 people [one their former foreign minister] talking and answering questions about the situation in that country.
all 5 [ 1 norwegian, 2 americans, 1 afghan and 1 other european ] know the country very well.
an interesting comment was :- appears little actual progress has been made in the 10 or more years of the war there, because we are fighting 10 one year wars and not 1 ten year war.
the war there has become a major employer and THE major supplier of money; for many in power they could not ask for more.
consequently, where it counts there is little or no incentive to change much in afghanistan.
let the good times keep rolling.
there was no one there from the US military, but I expect most in the pentagon look upon afghanistan as keeping them in a job, and a quick path to promotion for the adventurous – why change anything!
yes, the canon-fodder is killed – but that’s their rôle..........................
how long will it take for the US to get up enough courage [and/or face saving] to admit failure in afghanistan and leave – another 10 years?
not while the good times [for some] roll.
colin t