[BITList] YouTube - Nikki Yanofsky Sings It Don't Mean a Thing...

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 21 10:17:48 GMT 2011

Mike,

Regarding jazz - as in the song, either one has it or one hasn't - she has it.  I checked the Ella Fitzgerald version, and young Nikki isn't slavishly copying it.  In Stockholm last month, they played a CD of a fine jazz singer while we were having breakfast in the hotel.  I inquired and learned she was Monika Zetterlund (Swedish, died in 2005).  She started (much like I suppose Nikki started), singing to records, not understanding the words. She sang a lot in the US with the cream of the jazz/swing world, but for some reason I hadn't heard of her till recently.