[BITList] Sir George Shearing - Telegraph

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 15 11:37:38 GMT 2011

Mike,

"The good die young" was never more untrue than in George Shearing's case. I've got him filed in my mind along with Gerry Mulligan (I don't claim to have standard filing system). The article took me on a walk down my memories : Marian McPartland, and husband Jimmy ; Jazz on a Summer's Day ; The Bird .....   What became modern jazz was well established by the time Shearing went to New York.  It had its roots in the 30s - Charlie "The Bird" Parker was playing it in 1940, along with Thelonius Monk.

Like Shearing, Parker was almost entirely self-taught.  Not knowing any better, he practised everything in all the keys, flat and sharp, hence his skill at modulation.