[BITList] Britain 'throwing away computer heritage for humanities', says Google's Eric Schmidt - Telegraph

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat Aug 27 15:50:34 BST 2011

Mike,

Who was Eric Schmidt before he became very rich?  Nobody, is who.  Just like me. It's funny how they get delusions of grandeur once the money starts rolling in.

<< He urged the government to relieve the burden of regulation on broadcasters, and to invest in innovation.

"I'm not suggesting the UK should mirror US-style regulation. US TV has problems of its own [but] to compete on the world stage, your content businesses need the freedom and legal framework to behave more like internet companies. The starting point for every new piece of legislation should not be 'how do we regulate this' but 'how do we protect the space needed for innovation'," he said.>>

What this means is, regulation is getting in his way.  Bullshit about innovation notwithstanding. Innovation is French for built-in obsolescence, eg, out of date in 6 months sort of thing, making way for a shinier model.

Also.

<<Google, which employs around 10,000 engineers worldwide.>>

No it doesn't, unless they are in maintenance.  He employs technicians.