[BITList] School's milk crates fall foul of health and safetypolice - Telegraph

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Aug 23 08:33:02 BST 2011

Mike,

The fault lies with they who allowed the crates to be removed.  Many people no longer have a backbone where such matters are concerned.  A simple "Eff off !!" often works wonders.

In front of our house is a short, allegedly pedestrian-only street, scarred by repeated digging for pipes. There is no pavement.  Immediately opposite our house are 3 very large boulders set into the surface. No doubt they were for some aesthetic purpose when the place was new c1967, but the children used them for everything. Our three are in their 40s, and they played on them without falling off them all that much.  They have been a stage, houses, cliffs, a spaceship, seats, beds, and sundry other things, and the present generation of children, mostly from elsewhere than our street, carry on the tradition.  In their minds they are not boulders, and the milk crates were not milk crates, except in the eyes of fidgety killjoys.

Hugh