[BITList] where's my cloud?

franka franka at iinet.net.au
Thu Aug 11 14:21:34 BST 2011

/*Colin
Not sure if I understand your question but is this what you mean?
RAID 5*/ (block-level striping with distributed parity) distributes
parity along with the data and requires all drives but one to be present
to operate; the array is not destroyed by a single drive failure. Upon
drive failure, any subsequent reads can be calculated from the
distributed parity such that the drive failure is masked from the end
user. However, a single drive failure results in reduced performance of
the entire array until the failed drive has been replaced and the
associated data rebuilt.
Frank