[BITList] Riots Spread in London and Beyond - NYTimes.com

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Tue Aug 9 23:55:52 BST 2011

G'day Hugh,

On 10/08/2011, at 12:09 AM, HUGH wrote:

<< This business is organised.  There are copycat idiots everywhere, and small groups with a grievance, but at the root of it are people with an agenda, waiting for a chance.  What were the spectators and passer by doing, I asked. The police held them back, I was told. Much better to have given them all clubs with nails in them.  When people start setting fire to buildings with people in them, it's time to bring out the heavy weapons - I speak as unreconstructed Old Labour. >>

>From my point of view as a teacher the roots of the problem stem from society demanding the moddycoddling of children. Not allowed to smack children etc...

Kids today, know no boundaries. They have kept pushing the boundaries and no one says boo to them.

The strap and cane were removed from schools.

In the UK, the Riot Act only lasted till 1973, but it would seem to be still on the books in Australia. I quote :

<< "Acts similar to the Riot Act have been enacted in some Australian states. For example, in Victoria The Unlawful Assemblies and Processions Act (1958) allowed a magistrate to disperse a crowd with the words (or words to the effect of):  Our Sovereign Lady the Queen doth strictly charge and command all manner of persons here assembled immediately to disperse themselves and peaceably depart to their own homes. God save the Queen.

Anyone remaining after 15 minutes may be charged and imprisoned for only one month (first offence) or three months (repeat offence). The Act does not apply to crowds gathered for the purpose of an election.

The same Act allows a magistrate to appoint citizens as "Special [Police] Constables" to disperse a crowd, and provides indemnity for the hurting or killing of unlawfully assembled people in an attempt to disperse them.The Act was significantly amended in 2007."  >>

>From memory these laws were enacted by the Howard Liberal Govt. in an effort tot control the Unions.

The amendments in 2007 would have been passed by the Labor Govt.