[BITList] The American Spectator : Translating the Word

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 26 07:49:36 BST 2011

John,

Why, oh why, do people narrowly refer to James VI and I as James I?  Europe was full of James 1s.  That apart, a very interesting article - now I know what hermeneutics means.  I'll forward it to our minister's wife, at least she will respond.  He wouldn't, since the Bible doesn't mention hermeneutics.

After listening patiently to someone equally patiently explaining to her that the Bible has been translated and retranslated a number of times from various languages, an old lady said, "English was good enough for Jesus, so it's good enough for me."  I blame over translation for the rise of two things : happy clappy hymns, and the cheesy sentimental hymns they sing with one hand raised and face set in fake ecstasy.  God preserve us from both.