[BITList] BI, avery special club

Ronald Thomas thomas.ronald at wanadoo.fr
Thu Apr 21 19:49:58 BST 2011

As "tempis fugit", I am heartened to see the obvious loyalty and dedication that Marine Engineers of our generation plus, others of different technical persuasions, be they Navigators and Pursers, Radio Officers etc continuously voice their opinions on the latest trends in their respective disciplines.We, collectively, I feel, are expressing our knowledge and experience, through this rather unique forum, of the collective thoughts of our adult working life upbringing. I somehow suspect that many of the Engineer are facing the dilemma of the wheel being re-invented as it were.
For me, as a Navigator, I could still get you from A to B with a decent sextant, chronometer,relevant tables,Charts, echo sounder, lead line and log, but would certainly appreciate a Radar. I use a Sat Nav in my car, but wouldn't and do not absolutely trust it. Nor would I at sea. I would use it as a pure aid and nothing more.
Are modern trainees in both disciplines taught the very basics or do they plunge straight into the electronic modern stuff.I wonder. Perhaps this will engender some thoughtful comments from someone!

Respectful Salaams to you all.   Ron