[BITList] Cricket passion - The Big Picture

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Wed Apr 20 09:44:38 BST 2011

John,

Great pictures.  In our area, cricket took its place in the annual sequence of football, cricket, bows and arrows, fishing for saithe in the river, fishing for minnows in the Mill Dam, etc, etc. The only bats rivalling ours for sheer decrepitude are in Nos 24 and 30. I made one by nailing together layers of thin wood from an orange box.  Some of the wickets were like ours - I particularly liked the lumps of rock. Mostly our wicket (singular) was chalked on the side wall of the Mill Store on Chapelton Street, so wicket keepers stood to one side well clear of the bat - the ball was no threat, it was a tennis ball, and we bowled underarm. I don't know what happened elsewhere - in our game the object was to stay in as long as possible. This had nothing to do with loyalty to the team - those not holding the bat (singular) were mere adjuncts, only the batsman counted.  So each game was punctuated by fierce arguments that went on for ages, especially if the ball was owned by the batsman.