[BITList] TWITTER TWAT

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Wed Apr 6 10:59:18 BST 2011

Wednesday,

I've never quite understood what Twitter is for, what special status I should afford to things said online in 140 characters or less.  What is a Twitter statement?  A Twit, a Twite?  Regardless, here is one from a Twat in yesterday's Independent.

"I remember calculators being banned in school. Now Gov is banning mobiles. He'd have kids in short trousers using nibs and ink if he could."  This is Tom Watson, Labour MP for West Bromwich East.

Not only that, he (who he?) would have them sit up and pay attention and learn (if he could).  So there was me in my short trousers at Chapelton School - no calculator (though there was an abacus), and no mobiles (not even mobile phones).  I confess we had nibs and ink, but we had pens for the nibs, so we were able to write.  God - how did we get through it?  Some months back I was helping our grandson with his maths. He was in 3rd year high school at the time.  The stuff he was getting was covered by my compatriots and I in 1st year.