[BITList] At China's Grand New Museum, History Toes the Party Line - NYTimes.com

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Apr 4 14:24:32 BST 2011

Mike,

And not only in China. A few weeks back I was at a presentation for a history book written by a friend. One of those attending was the ex-Provost of Inverclyde, and we got into conversation.  Among other things, we agreed that some aspects of history are neglected in schools and hardly, if at all, covered elsewhere.  Our local history, even the recent aspects of it, is totally ignored, so that two generations have grown to young adulthood without realising there used to be shipyards all along the waterfront, that these fancy houses stand where ships' engines were built, that these other new houses had to be built in polychromatic brick because the polychromatic brick sugar sheds along the way are on the list of World Heritage Sites.  And so on.