[BITList] 'Hearse rage' on the rise, say funeral directors - Home News, UK - The Independent

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Apr 4 09:35:28 BST 2011

John,

The other day I came out of the LIDL store at the foot of Clune Brae here.
Clune Brae (a daft name, since the Clune bit refers to a hill) is a very
long steep hill that has dominated travel here for centuries - it used to be
the only way out for anyone going up river who didn't have the means of
sailing up river.  Anyway, when I got within sight of the start of the hill,
which is the crossing point to the bus stop opposite, an ordinary black car
drew up in the nearside, followed by a white van.  I couldn't see beyond the
white van at that point, and I hoped they weren't blocking the crossing.
When I got level with them, the whole bloody brae was blocked by two lines
of immobile traffic, cars, lorries, buses, right up as far as I could see.
The only thing I couldn't see was a reason for it.  There was no
obstruction, no breakdown, no police, no accident, no hearse, no flashing
lights, no nothing.  When I was halfway through them with by two bags,
uttering curses at a chap who though it a good idea to try to change lanes
while I was dodging round him, they all started to move again.

It reminded me of the evening I was coming home from Scotts in Greenock.  We
took the scenic route over the hills to the start of a single track road. It
was absolutely pouring down, visibility poor.  The single track road was,
and is, used mainly by a farmer and by locals like us looking for a
shortcut. There are passing places, but not many.  Halfway along we saw the
red lights.  A couple of cars in front were stopped, facing a couple coming
the other way.  Somebody hadn't a clue how to drive on a single track road.
Within a few minutes the lines facing each other had grown, and were still
growing.  We got out and conferred with the opposition. Volunteers were sent
in both directions to stop more people driving in, but the upshot was the
total blockage of the whole road.  So the volunteers had to get those at the
ends to back up and  continue their journey by other routes.  The whole
thing took over an hour.