[BITList] Red dragon

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 30 15:49:54 BST 2010

John,

Greyhound papers all gone, so you'll have to buy your own.  I've a photo of
the bookies shop where I used to lay his bets for him.  I recall two
greyhound episodes.  I was sent over to Clydebank as a young teenager with
details of who to meet and what to say and do.  I handed over the fiver and
collected the £25 after the race.  My instructions were to bring back the
winnings - there was no mention of his dog (a black bitch called Jennifer)
not winning - it was foreordained.  Another time I went in a van to Larkhall
with Dad, one of his cronies, and the dog (not Jennifer).  We stopped a bit
short of the track and I was given the end of the lead and firm
instructions.  Talk to nobody, watch the dogs paws for God's sake or else,
deny everything, meet them inside.  As I approached the track I could hear
mutterings from those also going in.  They thought they knew the dog, but
had no idea who I was. The issue? Was that the dog they thought it was, and
was it "trying"?  Of course it was trying - no point in it being there
otherwise. Meanwhile, Dad and his crony had got a fair price from the
bookies before the odds dropped.  All good clean fun.