[BITList] Red dragon

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 30 14:02:48 BST 2010

John,

I very much regret not having heard of him before - from what I read, he was
my kind of thinker.  I see Richard Hoggart mentioned - I'm sure The Uses of
Literacy is on my shelves somewhere - my father put me on to that book.  Dad
undercoated the hulls of ships for a living - he was a red leader.  As a lad
I often used to read about the Red Leaders during WW2, and it made me
wonder.  Contrary to what some might have expected his literary tastes to
be, he read, and I was brought up on, The Rubaiyat, GB Shaw's Political
Essays, and the like, not forgetting the greyhound racing papers.  The
Rubaiyat is long gone, but I've still got the rest.