[BITList] Fwd: WDYTYA

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Sep 14 07:02:58 BST 2010

John,

Though it followed only one line, and only one person at that, the programme
on Alan Cumming's family history was, for me, the most interesting so far.
The amount of detail they got from records I'd have assumed were long gone,
was astonishing.  One record that WAS long gone, was the page from Sgt
Tom/Tam Darling's medical record covering the period he spent in hospital,
WW2, in Africa (having been involved in the battle at Kohima v the
Japanese).  Apparently it was commonplace after the war to remove any record
of "mental illness, trauma", etc, and the experts reckoned Darling had
suffered from that after Kohima.  My Dad fought at Kohima, but (as far as I
recall) he escaped that fate.  And, though Darling served only 7 months as a
Police Ltnt in Malaya, post WW2, there is a walkway named after him in the
town (can't recall the name of the town).