[BITList] Why do we exist?

CT's x50type at cox.net
Fri Sep 3 23:38:10 BST 2010

      Why do we exist?

      good question!

      [the book is $15 from Amazon]

      ct

      THE GRAND DESIGN

      By Stephen Hawking and

      Leonard Mlodinow

      Bantam. 198 pp. $28

      In "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," Douglas Adams famously had his characters ask a computer to provide the ultimate answer to "Life, the Universe, and Everything." As Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow point out in their book "The Grand Design," the computer's response -- 42 -- was less than helpful. Hawking, who needs no introduction, and Mlodinow, a Caltech physicist with a string of excellent books to his credit, have taken on that ultimate question in a somewhat more rigorous form by asking three related ones:

      Why is there something instead of nothing?

      Why do we exist?

      Why does this particular set of laws govern our universe and not some other set?

      Deep stuff, indeed. In the first chapter, Hawking and Mlodinow launch into an accessible and elegant history of the progression of scientific knowledge from the Greeks to modern cosmology. As is customary in such treatments, the authors point out the significance of certain milestones. The first of these, the realization by the Ionian Greeks that nature could be explained by laws rather than by the whims of the gods, is really the start of modern science. The second, the discovery by Copernicus that the Earth is not at the center of the universe, opened the door for a realistic exploration of our solar system and, later, our galaxy and universe.

      Alan Boyle writes: British physicist Stephen Hawking's latest book is already making waves with his observation that science can explain the universe's origin without invoking God.

      "Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing," Hawking and his co-author, Caltech physicist Leonard Mlodinow, write in "The Grand Design," which is due to be issued next week. "Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist. It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the universe going."