[BITList] Earths

FS franka at iinet.net.au
Fri Oct 29 12:50:59 BST 2010

Hugh,
What I've done in places where it was not feasible to drive rods was to
lay out an earth mat created by running bare conductors in a mesh
configuration and covering with earth or in trenches these earth zones
then have to be tested by establishing an earth point about a 100 metres
away and checking the ground impedance until a suitable regulation
reading is obtained. That said can also remember when working in a open
face Iron ore mine where the grade was 80% pure Iron but with vein's of
silica running though it such that when a shovel backed over its 6.6Kv
supply cable one would have to hop to the switching cubical to trip the
circuit breaker as enough fault current would be unable to flow but if
one walked to the circuit breaker then the risk of getting a leg either
side of a silica vain and a few thousand volts though the bits that hurt
was always present under fault conditions
frank